dbi
driven by insomnia
Main | User list | Search | Register | Login

You are not logged in.
driven by insomnia / General Discussion / Ummm... DEAF MUCH?  
Author
Message Pages: 1
Golbez
Dirty Bastid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Acoustics

So I was doing a little research on hearing loss when I came across this chart in Wikipedia. And this was after I came across the excerpt from the Hearing Loss article.

Long term exposure to environmental noise

Populations of people living near airports or freeways are exposed to levels of noise typically in the 65 to 75 dbA range. If lifestyles include significant outdoor or open window conditons, these exposures over time can degrade hearing. The U.S. EPA and various states have set noise standards to protect people from these adverse health risks. The EPA has identified the level of 70 db(A) for 24 hour exposure as the level necessary to protect the public from hearing loss (EPA, 1974).

* Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) typically is centered at 4000 Hz.
    * The louder the noise is, the shorter the safe amount of exposure is. Normally, the safe amount of exposure is reduced by a factor 2 for every additional 3 dB(A). For example, the safe daily exposure amount at 85 dB is 8 hours, while the safe exposure at 91 dB(A) is only 2 hours (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1998). Sometimes, a factor 2 per 5 dB(A) is used.
    * Personal electronic audio devices, such as iPods (iPods often reaching 115 decibels or higher), can produce powerful enough sound to cause significant Noise-Induced Hearing Loss, given that lesser intensities of even 70 dB can also cause hearing loss.

It was neat to see World War weaponry in the chart as a comparison, and also informative as to why my ears ring. Concerts, woo.

10-31-06 05:44 AM
Website  
Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Hmm, continuing my search for knowledge, I ran into this link on lag, for those interested in a more comprehensive overview.

10-31-06 05:53 AM
Website  
Evil_Lurks
The Father

Haha, Golbez what are you the dbi wikipedia now? :)

You better act like CeCe, and keep on walkin

10-31-06 06:27 AM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

I didn't think of myself as an official spokesman. I only wanted to know stuff. But if it pays well...

10-31-06 08:42 PM
Website  
Pages: 1    
Jump to