dbi
driven by insomnia
Main | User list | Search | Register | Login

You are not logged in.
driven by insomnia / General Discussion / This is my first Dvorak Post.  
Author
Message Pages: 1
Golbez
Dirty Bastid

That sentence alone tooj me 1 minute. There was another minute. And another. So I founh out how to switch it and there's a huge learning curve. Google Dvorak if

interested. Oh man. One neat feature is that along the task bar you can quickly switch back to the other english/US style, which I have been using now since the interrupted break. Anywho, google Dvorak under Images, er, hell, I'll supply the links. Check it:

Use these as a desktop till you learn it.

Click on your OS to learn how to switch it. It's really easy to enable and disable it.

Not only this, but if you type fast anywho, the QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow your typing deliberately, back when fast typing could jam a typewriter. So the dude Dvorak created a much better one w/ the most frequently used keys on homerow, etc. As computers/keyboards are in it for the long haul, might be worth your while to also try and switch. Like I said, huge learning curve. Esp. if you try typing a post within the first 2 minutes of having it switched over - however, I used my desktop to guide me. But if you can type fast now, imagine what you could be like in a couple months after using the Dvorak. Let the transformation begin!

09-25-06 05:57 AM
Website  
Butchk

Intresting, ive heard of it in the past when some IBM ps/2 comps had the option of Dvorak Keyboard but it never really took off in the U.S. I know for a fact other countries use Dvorak instead of the Qwerty. You need Java to make it work since IBM was really into Java back in the Late 80's its the only Program that supports Dvorak.

09-25-06 12:53 PM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Well that doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone though. I think most people download java to support web browsing. I'm not sure on the specifics here, but the site explains: "You can set up the Dvorak layout on any popular personal computer. The cheapest way is to install a software conversion (a new keymap that redefines the way your computer reads your existing keyboard)."

Example, for Windows XP:

Windows XP

Added 15 September 2004

Select Start->Control Panel.

If you're viewing by categories (the default), click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.

Click Regional and Language Options.

Click the Languages tab

Click the Details button

Click the Add button

Under Keyboard Layout/IME, select United States-Dvorak (or Left- or Right-handed), then click OK.

If you want it to be default, select United States-Dvorak again in the Default input language pull-down

Click OK to close the control panel.

EASY AS PIE. But not as tasty.

09-25-06 01:14 PM
Website  
Pages: 1    
Jump to