dbi
driven by insomnia
Main | User list | Search | Register | Login

You are not logged in.
driven by insomnia / General Discussion / Voting  
Author
Message Pages:  1 2
Butchk

Presidential Elections just around the corner who are you guys voting for? and why? if you dont mind sharing with us. :D

09-29-07 07:31 AM

hsL

Isn't there a rule about no politics on the forums?  Get with it butch

09-29-07 08:17 AM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Right now I'm siding Dem, and I like both Obama and Clinton. But I've enjoyed the ideas of many of the candidates across both parties, and there's also a third party revolution online called Unity08(.org), who tries to reach across the gaps and stick more with issues. It would be awesome if it received enough attention and consideration to ruin the polarized divide in congress.

In the end, it'll be better to sort out where you stand on each issue, and then look at each candidate on what they believe in those areas, and then choose based on who best represents how you feel.

Iraq - ... On the fence. It's a **** hole there, and we're losing so many casualties. But if Iraq isn't the source of the terrorists that we're fighting there, then it may be better served to fight them at the source, of which Afghanistan was mentioned. But it sounds like the condition is improving, and if we withdraw and let it collapse, it would make every effort we've already put forth in vain.

Taxes - Well, definitely no tax breaks for the rich. **** that. It should be a graduated tax bracket. The more money you make, the more you pay on it. We'd be in a surplus so fast, you'd **** yourself, and some bum would tape it, because hey, we've got money to support people now. This means schools, medicare, medicade, foreign relief funds, etc. 

Medicare - I'm interested to see how the universal medicare works out. They say taking away the tax break to the rich that Bush created will save 95 billion, enough to pay for it in full, for all Americans. Not only that, but it would maintain the private coverage where we can choose who we want. I can't see the downside to this.

Social Security - ... Kudos to Bush (drained the surplus to grave deficits). Granted, this was invented for people who were only supposed to live another couple years, and by now we're far exceeding that lifespan, so it costs more to sustain old people, but still their bodies are breaking down and they need the support to comfortably let them live out their lives. So I'm nearly in favor of having that amendment to force the gov't to balance the budget, so we don't owe trillions in debt to China with no cash left for the old guys. So for SURE, we need fiscal responsibility.

Immigrants - No wall; **** you. Our country is built on immigrants and freedoms to do as you please (generally.) But there definitely should be a system to get them to become legal citizens so they can pay for taxes. And yes, penalize the companies that hire them as cheap, illegal workers. Don't blame the workers who are willing to work hard for a job while you sit on your ass and complain. And if you had the financial responsibility of not spending what you don't have, and taxing those who deserve it, then there wouldn't be a big question about medicare in this regard either.

Miscellaneous - 3 reps don't believe in evolution. See ya. Democratic Senator Gravel from Alaska is old and grumpy. He doesn't present ideas so much as he does hatred. See ya. Senator? Thompson joined like 7 months late and is in 2nd place? TV fame ftw. States are changing their initial voting dates which typically indicate the best forerunners of the campaign. Not sure how I feel about this  (Michigan is one of them.)

So I still have to pick which candidates I best like from each party.

Dem: Obama, Clinton.
Rep:  Not Romney. His attitude and character seem questionable to me. I'm thinking Guliani, McCain, and the old, fiesty guy. But these are all preliminary. This is all you get for now.

Edit - PS - Just around the corner = over a year away =P

Last edited by Golbez (09-29-07 09:43 AM)

09-29-07 09:32 AM
Website  
Butchk

hsL wrote:

Isn't there a rule about no politics on the forums?  Get with it butch

Sorry.......but do tell us who you are voting for Ms Hizzle? :D

09-29-07 09:43 AM

Butchk

Golbez wrote:

Iraq - ... On the fence. It's a **** hole there, and we're losing so many casualties. But if Iraq isn't the source of the terrorists that we're fighting there, then it may be better served to fight them at the source, of which Afghanistan was mentioned. But it sounds like the condition is improving, and if we withdraw and let it collapse, it would make every effort we've already put forth in vain.

Immigrants - No wall; **** you. Our country is built on immigrants and freedoms to do as you please (generally.) But there definitely should be a system to get them to become legal citizens so they can pay for taxes. And yes, penalize the companies that hire them as cheap, illegal workers. Don't blame the workers who are willing to work hard for a job while you sit on your ass and complain. And if you had the financial responsibility of not spending what you don't have, and taxing those who deserve it, then there wouldn't be a big question about medicare in this regard either.

Edit - PS - Just around the corner = over a year away =P

I agree Iraq is a **** hole pretty much a modern version of Nam. Even if we leave this is gonna hurt us later on.

We are all immigrants we should support each other but doing it the legal way,plus it would be nice to have some sort of Amnesty to help out too it would benefit the country greatly.

I would vote for Hillary due to having 8yrs of experience running the country while bill was getting blown and taking credit for. Obama seems like a cool guy with great ideas but.....hes a muslim in disguise nothing against muslims just the fact this country is not ready for a muslim president yet so dont bash me on that.

And yeah we are a year away from voting oops my bad!

Last edited by Butchk (09-29-07 10:07 AM)

09-29-07 10:06 AM

S u c k Y

i don't think is a good idea having political science discussion around here, some ppl get too worked out if someone disagree with them. If I remember well, we had some problems before with this.

In another note, **** politics. They all say great thing when in campaing but once they are elected, they suffer from ammnesia.   :rolleyes:

09-29-07 05:12 PM

Butchk

Ok since you guys are too sensitive i wont discuss politics, damn no lock feature?

Last edited by Butchk (09-29-07 07:44 PM)

09-29-07 07:44 PM

Anti
East Bay G

quit being pansies, its our forums we can discuss what we want.  just be civilized, you know?  we're a clan, not opposing debate teams.

i agree with america not being ready for a muslim president, but i think he's honestly the best for the job.  its time for some change, and i think obama can bring us out from bush's shadow.  i don't trust a woman running the country, no offense, so hilary is a definate no for me.  i'm not voting for any of the repubs because i just see us invading afghanistan and/or iran.  we already have enough international relations probelms with bush's ****-ups and all the walk-outs in the un, plus we really don't need another fight.  if i really didn't wanna vote for a repub, i'd prolly go for guliani but thats still only goin for the lesser of the 3 evils... even though i feel he has it out for the middle east for attacking his city.  either way, not voting repub.

Last edited by Anti (09-29-07 08:30 PM)

09-29-07 08:29 PM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Well, you should still vote for Giuliani in the primaries, so if you are stuck with someone other than your main pick, it's at least a sort of "back up."

And I would definitely not vote against Obama because he's Muslim. It's prejudice, and it's stupid. And guess what? Same goes for Hilary. America might not be ready for it yet, but how long will it take them to get their act together before they are ready? They accept women into the military, which is far more physically demanding. So why couldn't a women handle the presidency? I say the best way to overcome this "not being ready" is to thrust it in their laps and tell 'em to deal with it.

Having a Muslim or a woman president will be a great political figure head to help end the blind disparity between the masses and minorities because of petty reasons. That's not the reason I'd vote for them, but I think it's a useful consequence.

One of the topics I left off:

*** - I'm not religious, so I don't abide by that whole 'sanctity of marriage' is between a man and a women. If that's how it's always been, fine, keep it that way IF they get ALL the same benefits as a married couple. Or call it marriage; I don't care. Either way, they should get equal rights, and wow. Iran. Yeah, *** don't exist in your country. Well hopefully soon, Iranians won't either. Nuke 'em.

...(not really, but seriously, how retarded is that?)

09-29-07 08:42 PM
Website  
Anti
East Bay G

i'll probably have hilary has my back-up, but i don't want her as our president.  i'd rather have her than any of the repubs though.  i mean, seriously, when was the last time you actually wanted any of the nominees to be president?  i mean, i wanted gore as president, but he's really the only one, and only because of his enviornmental concerns that nobody else really seems to care about.

if you haven't seen "an inconvienient truth" you need to.  we might not die because of this ****, but our kids and their kids will.  co2 is through the **** roof, and that trend is something that is seen through all of the ice ages.  so if we don't stop making so much co2, we'll start another ice age.  all the facts point towards this.

as far as *** marriage is concerned, i'm all for it.  i grew up in the bay area, my mom works at a hospital in berkeley, and about 1/3 her friends are *** or bi.  i have nothing against *** people, as long as they don't try to be *** with me. lol.

btw golby, you left off enviornmental issues.   ;)

09-29-07 09:25 PM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Oops, that I did. I knew I didn't cover 'em all. And HSL was already complaining my post was too long.  :D

Environmental - SIGN THE KYOTO TREATY YOU OVERLY RELIGIOUS DIPSHIT. Well, at least he's finally coming around to the idea that we do need to cap the CO2 emissions, but as long as he's in the pockets of the big corporations, we won't get the limits we need. National Geographic says that 450 ppm CO2 is a threshhold we dearly need to respect. We were at 280 pre-industrial revolution (estimated), 315ppm when measuring started in 1950, and we're at 380, and increasing ~ 2ppm/year. And CO2 isn't the only greenhouse gas that does this. Polar icecaps are already melting at significant rates. And we only have a finite supply of oil anyways. So let's get this ball rolling already.

Too bad there's not a CO2 magnet that someone can just launch in the air and suck up some of it. That would be hot. And by hot I mean cool.

09-29-07 09:43 PM
Website  
Evil_Lurks
The Father

Guliani.

YEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You better act like CeCe, and keep on walkin

09-29-07 10:42 PM

Anti
East Bay G

Golbez wrote:

SIGN THE KYOTO TREATY YOU OVERLY RELIGIOUS DIPSHIT

seriously.

09-29-07 11:48 PM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Environmental example - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7019415.stm

Something, but not enough, indeed. He's not willing to stand against the big corporations that would suffer in enforcing these rules. So he's basically forfeiting our future 'cause he has no balls to stand up for what's right. If we began the industry for self renewing power, and championed that instead, you bet your sweet ass you'd see the economy boom.

"Each nation must decide for itself the right mix of tools and technology to achieve results that are measurable and environmentally effective," translates into "the global limit is something we're all responsible for, and I'd like for other nations to do something about it whilst we steal your oil. Mwu ha ha."

"By setting this goal, we acknowledge there is a problem. And by setting this goal, we commit ourselves to doing something about it," Mr Bush said." translates into "If I'm harming the environment only slightly less than I previously have been, then I don't care if we're producing among the most CO2 emissions in the world."

09-29-07 11:55 PM
Website  
Anti
East Bay G

we're actually producing a rediculously large amount of co2.  we're responsible for the majority of the world's current co2 production.   funny thing is that the government actually thought co2 was a harmless gas for quite some time, but that's quickly being proven otherwise.  i've gone through the fremont wyotech smog program, which happens to be the best program in the world  ;) , and co2 isn't half our problems.  nox is eating our ozone, hydrocarbons are creating loads of health and environmental problems, ie. "smog", elevated temps, ice caps melting, elevated water levles, etc... and nobody is really doing **** about it.  southern cali actually has smog bots on the freeway that measure smog emissions, and if you're emissions are too high, it takes a pic of your license plate and you receive a letter in the mail making you report for a smog.  i can't wait until other states have to start worrying about emissions.  seattle started a little bit, but thats only one city in washington.  nobody else has ****.

scientists take co2 samples from air bubbles in glaciers, ice caps, etc.  every ice age, there has been a high level of co2, and right now, our co2 level is like 3x what it was during past ice ages.  they say in 50 years of the same trend it'll be something like 10x, they also say we have 10 years to turn it all around or the damage will be irreversable.  the world is going downhill, and unless we do something to stop it, we, as a race, won't be surviving on this planet for more than another generation or two.

ps - yay al gore.

Last edited by Anti (09-30-07 01:53 AM)

09-30-07 01:51 AM

Iskander

yay al gore indeed

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

09-30-07 03:31 AM

Wicket
entertainment

The environment is **** and nothing can be instigated that will fix it. I'm pinning all my hopes on science digging us out of the ****. I don?t even recycle.

09-30-07 11:50 PM

S u c k Y

How ironic!!  Science put us in this environmental **** and now we need science to take us out of it.  :rolleyes:

10-01-07 02:48 AM

Lemmage
#1 Stenna

i'm gonna wait until the last second and then ask wicket which one he thinks is sexier... then i will make my choice

10-01-07 04:16 AM
Website  
hsL

10-01-07 05:05 AM

Golbez
Dirty Bastid

Iskander wrote:

yay al gore indeed

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

I was going to post this before the site crapped out on me last night:

GW is too dumb to use any fancy technology, so of course his house is a ranch. And I know this is an over-exaggeration here, but I'd rather live in the 21rst century and stress the importance of current issues than live in a box and not understand there's more I should be doing with my power.

Although I do respect the ranch. But that doesn't redeem him for everything else.

10-01-07 05:38 AM
Website  
Lemmage
#1 Stenna

i would comment on my preferences and how they differ but i have not done enough research to argue with ya'll ...

so meanwhile...

I would have trouble voting for 1) a woman... 2) anyone who has said they "invented the internet"

no offense hsl.. i'm presbyterian

10-01-07 07:40 PM
Website  
Golbez
Dirty Bastid

While I don't think being a woman makes them over-qualified to run for office, I don't think it makes them under-qualified either. Why would this be a challenge to feel confident with a woman president? I think it would give a new perspective to many issues that have been over-looked by the unanimously male-run presidency.

My only reservation in this regard is that it's never been done before, so it just feels like a bold step I'm not sure the rest of the world is ready to deal with. I think a woman president would be fine, though.

And there's plenty more research I have to do. I just shoot my mouth after I learn some ideas. But it's always good to be open minded so you're not stuck on a few things you know only some things about. That being said, I'm willing to change my views, should I see some convincing arguments.

But if you don't open up, we can't talk about it :)

10-01-07 08:15 PM
Website  
Lemmage
#1 Stenna

1) Woman president seen as a weakness  among third world countries

10-01-07 10:39 PM
Website  
MasTeR
E-S-L

Lech Walensa

10-01-07 11:59 PM

Pages:  1 2